Bookmarks Seeks Part-Time Booksellers
Part-time positions at Bookmarks are now available for experienced booksellers as well as candidates with prior retail experience, a love books, and strong communication skills. All roles will involve direct customer contact (handselling) with an emphasis on fulfilling Bookmarks’ nonprofit mission of fostering of love of reading and writing in the community.
Open positions are for daytime, evening, and weekend hours. Employees will be scheduled to work during Bookmarks’ Festival of Books and Authors (September 6-9) and holidays.
Please read the entire job description carefully before applying. Interviews will begin immediately. Please submit a brief letter of interest and completed application to Bookmarks:
- Email to Beth Seufer Buss, Community Outreach and Bookstore Manager email@example.com or
- Return in person to Bookmarks at 634 W. 4th Street #110, Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Please submit all questions via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls.
Bookmarks is first and foremost a literary arts nonprofit with a mission of fostering a love of reading and writing in the community. Bookmarks’ programming connects readers and authors and includes an annual Festival of Books, an Authors in Schools program, and year-round events in our community gathering space and nonprofit independent bookstore. Employees will serve as team leaders during their shifts to perform opening and closing duties, supervise bookstore volunteers, and address customers’ concerns, as well as assist with Bookmarks’ events such as author talks, booksignings, conference room usage, and other in-store activities.
Front-line booksellers are often the first point of contact for customers and are expected to create a friendly, professional, helpful environment in the store. You should feel comfortable talking about and handselling a range of books although you may have a specialization in an age group or genre.
Primary responsibilities include customer service, point-of-sale transactions, basic merchandising and inventory, and participating in store promotions. Customer service includes greeting customers, strong knowledge of store inventory and activities, ability to give advice on store inventory, general awareness of the publishing industry, handselling, assessing customer needs, and placing special orders.
Basic merchandising and inventory includes assisting with receiving inventory, shelving, restocking, returns, creating displays, organizing books and merchandise, and yearly inventory assessment. Maintaining the facility includes keeping the store, conference room, and storage area clean, safe, and comfortable for customers and staff. Duties will include vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, cleaning bathrooms, moving or breaking down boxes, taking out trash and recycling, and keeping the register stocked and organized.
All employees will receive training about Bookmarks and its mission. Employees may be called upon to work at Bookmarks’ Festival or Books, Authors in Schools program, book fairs, and other events and activities as assigned.
- Time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Work with minimal supervision and show initiative to identify and complete what needs to be done without direct instruction.
- Team player who can work with and supervise volunteers from a variety of backgrounds.
- Basic technology skills, including Microsoft Office, the ability to learn the point of sale system and inventory database, and basic knowledge of audio/visual equipment.
- Outstanding customer service and communication skills.
- Flexibility of schedule – weekend and holiday hours required.
- Ability to bend, stoop, lift, and carry boxes up to 40 pounds across the store and stand on the sales floor for long periods of time.
- Knowledge of books and the book industry, with previous bookselling experience preferred.
- Be able to talk knowledgeably about Bookmarks and its mission.
- Must genuinely enjoy talking about books and helping readers of all ages.
As a small nonprofit organization, Bookmarks is unable to provide benefits to part-time employees. Average salary will be $9-11/hour commensurate upon experience.
Interested in volunteering with Bookmarks? Please click here for information.