Bookmarks is currently seeking qualified candidates for the following positions:
- Floor Manager
Bookmarks is a literary arts nonprofit whose mission is to ignite the love of reading by connecting our community with books and authors. Bookmarks produces the Carolinas’ largest annual Festival of Books and Authors, a Bookmarks in Schools program, and year-round author and reading events around the Triad community and in its new gathering space and nonprofit independent bookstore located in downtown Winston-Salem.
Bookmarks is an equal opportunity employer.
Bookmarks seeks a full-time Floor Manager to lead a team of dedicated booksellers in furthering Bookmarks’ nonprofit mission of igniting the love of reading by connecting our community with books. Ideal candidates will be experienced managers as well individuals with prior bookstore experience, a love of books, and strong leadership, customer service, conflict resolution, and communication skills. This is a primarily customer-facing role that requires an enthusiastic, solutions-driven individual that will drive Bookmarks’ customer service experience while operating under the core values of collaboration, community, diversity, and excellence.
The Floor Manager will be the primary point of contact for part-time booksellers while also serving as a frontline bookseller for the majority of their daily shifts. They will report to the Bookstore Manager and work closely with the Inventory Control Manager as part of the bookstore management team. This full-time position will primarily work late morning through evening hours Tuesday through Saturday, with rotating on-call Sunday coverage.
- Provide leadership on the bookstore floor, creating a friendly, professional, helpful environment in the store. Keep the store safe, clean, and comfortable for customers.
- Supervise booksellers, answer questions and concerns, provide support and training during on-floor shifts.
- Interview new booksellers with the bookstore management team. Train new booksellers.
- Collaborate with the bookstore management team on the monthly bookseller schedule.
- Provide all aspects of frontline bookselling: greet customers, assess needs and make recommendations, place special orders, conduct point-of-sale transactions, solicit round-up donations, while providing outstanding customer service.
- Collaborate with the bookstore management team on in-store promotions, displays, and merchandising.
- Meet with the bookstore management team on a weekly basis to identify store projects, review sales and performance data, as well as establish and track goals.
- Streamline bookstore operations; assist in the creation of support documentation for operations and training manuals.
- Assist (as needed) with merchandising and inventory. This includes: inventory receiving, shelving new and restock items, creating displays, organizing books and merchandise, assisting with yearly inventory assessment, etc.
- Attend monthly operations team event meetings. Host in-store events, including event introductions, author hospitality, and coordinating booksellers and/or volunteers.
- Management or supervisory experience in a retail setting, preferably a bookstore.
- Ability to lead and motivate a team working towards a common goal.
- Excellent communication skills: telephone, email and in-person communication skills with ability to give specific, productive feedback to booksellers.
- Organized with attention to detail. Time management skills: the ability to prioritize and multitask within a busy environment with frequent interruptions.
- Genuine enthusiasm and passion for books and Bookmarks’ nonprofit mission.
- Technology: Microsoft Office, Google Suite, experience with a point of sale and inventory system, basic knowledge of audio/visual equipment.
- Ability to bend, stoop, left, and carry boxes up to 40 pounds across the store and stand on the sales floor for long periods of time.
- Knowledge of books, bookselling, and the book industry. Previous bookstore supervisory or management experience preferred.
- Must genuinely enjoy talking about books and helping readers of all ages.
- Must remain aware of industry news and trends. Read and review galleys, provide reviews to publishers, SIBA, and in-store recommendations.
Late morning through evening availability Tuesday-Saturday with rotating Sunday on-call responsibility. Holiday hours required.
The salary for this position will be based on qualifications and experience. After a 90-day training period, health and dental insurance as well as holiday, vacation, and sick days will be provided.
Email your resume and cover letter to Bookmarks Bookstore Manager, Beth Seufer Buss at email@example.com. Review of applicants will begin Wednesday, September 18.