Executive Director, Bookmarks NC (Winston-Salem, NC)
The Board of Directors of Bookmarks NC, Inc. seeks an experienced, dynamic, and visionary leader to serve as its next Executive Director. The ideal candidate is a strong strategic thinker, supporting the Bookmarks mission and vision through strong community partnerships and relationships and by developing the financial resources necessary for long-term program sustainability.
Bookmarks is a literary arts nonprofit organization that works to ignite the love of reading and expand the concept of a book-based community to a wide variety of audiences. We are passionate about providing access to books, authors, the Bookmarks store, and the Bookmarks Festival, together serving as a point of entry for literary arts in general. We believe books form a foundation for an intellectually curious and informed community. [https://www.bookmarksnc.org]
Located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Bookmarks began as a literary arts nonprofit in 2004. Over the last 16 years, Bookmarks has worked to connect people with books and authors through three primary programs: an annual Festival of Books & Authors, outreach programs including public events, Authors In Schools, Book Build for expanding public school libraries, and the operation of an independent, nonprofit bookstore. The 2021 operational budget of Bookmarks NC, Inc. is approximately $1.2 million.
Despite this year’s pandemic, Bookmarks has been able to successfully engage its community, expand audiences through virtual events with nationally acclaimed authors, increase online traffic and secure a strong holiday retail season to finish the year fiscally strong and looking toward the future. Bookmarks believes that books have the power to prompt curiosity, provide shared experiences and understanding, and connect people and communities to each other. Expanding outreach is a strategic priority for the organization and Bookmarks is committed to a thoughtful, authentic approach that includes listening to and engaging with communities to understand their needs and grow access to books.
OVERALL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership and Fundraising:
- Ensure the enhancement of Bookmarks’ image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations
- Develop, diversify, and expand revenue sources necessary to support Bookmarks’ mission, including donations, fundraising, grant writing, partnerships, and sponsorships
- Actively engage and energize Bookmarks volunteers, board members, staff, partnering organizations, and funders with Bookmarks values and vision
Management, Finances and Human Resources:
- Manage daily operations and lead the staff to perform their duties with professionalism, excellence, integrity, and enthusiasm
- Ensure programmatic excellence, rigorous assessment and evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems
- Provide leadership and direction to the staff to ensure support for the work of Bookmarks
Strategic Direction and Planning
- Adapt and change to effectively respond to the needs of the Bookmarks community
- Oversee strategic planning to ensure that Bookmarks can successfully fulfill its mission into the future
- Cultivate partnerships with key stakeholders
Education and Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Professional qualifications in leading literary organizations, nonprofits and/or bookstore management demonstrating progressively responsible experience preferred.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Demonstrated interest and appreciation for the role of the literary arts in connecting with the community
- Development and fundraising experience with the ability to attract the resources necessary to ensure an annual balanced budget and long-term sustainability
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong marketing and public relations experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
Job Status: Exempt, 40 hours per week, full benefits
Reporting: The Executive Director reports to the Bookmarks Board of Directors
Evaluation: Initial evaluations will occur 3 and 6 months following initial hiring date. Annual evaluations will be completed (before the beginning of the new fiscal/calendar year) thereafter.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes retirement, paid vacation, and medical/dental which will be shared with final candidates.
Submit a cover letter articulating your qualifications and a resume as MS Word or Adobe pdf documents via email to: email@example.com (Ms. Julie Groves, Co-chair, Bookmarks ED Search Committee)
Applications will be accepted until Friday, February 5, 2021.
References will be required from finalists who will be notified after the application deadline. Academic, credit, and criminal background checks will be conducted before any official offers are made. At least three work-related references are required for finalists.
Bookmarks NC, Inc. is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization governed by a Board of Directors consisting of eighteen (18) citizens of the community.
Bookmarks NC, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.