Now Hiring Part-time Booksellers
Part-time positions at Bookmarks are now available for experienced booksellers as well as candidates with prior retail experience, a love of books, and strong communication skills. All roles will involve interacting with customers (handselling) with an emphasis of fulfilling Bookmarks' nonprofit mission of fostering a love of reading and writing in the community. All employees will receive training about Bookmarks and its mission. Employees will be called upon to work at Bookmarks’ Festival or Book & Authors, and may assist with Authors in Schools program, book fairs, and other events and activities as assigned.
Application review will begin immediately with interviews starting May 15. Please submit a brief letter of interested and completed application (file below) to Bookmarks via email to Beth Seufer Buss, Bookmarks Bookstore Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also return applications in person or mail to 634 W. 4th St #110, Winston-Salem, NC 27101. No phone calls please. Submit any questions via email to email@example.com.
Open positions include daytime, evening, and weekend hours. Employees will be scheduled to work during Bookmarks' Festival of Books & Authors (September 5-8, 2019) and on holidays. This is an ongoing position; seasonal applications will not be considered.
Primary responsibilities include customer service, point-of-sale transactions, basic merchandising and inventory, and participating in store promotions. Customer service includes greeting customers, having a strong knowledge of inventory and events, the ability to give advice on store inventory, a general awareness of the publishing industry, handselling, assessing customer needs, and placing special orders. Basic merchandising and inventory includes assisting with receiving inventory, shelving, restocking, creating displays, organizing books and merchandise, and a yearly inventory assessment. Maintaining the facility includes keeping the bookstore, storage areas, and conference room clean, safe, and comfortable for staff and guests. Duties will include vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, cleaning bathrooms, moving or breaking down boxes, taking out trash and recycling, and keeping the register stocked and organized.
- Time management and the ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and show initiave to identify and complete what needs to be done without direct instruction
- Team player who can work with and supervise volunteers from a variety of backgrounds
- Basic technology skills, including Microsoft Office, the ability to learn the point of sale system and inventory database, and basic knowledge of audio/visual equipment
- Outstanding customer service and communication skills
- Flexibility of schedule – weekend and holiday hours required
- Ability to bend, stoop, lift, and carry boxes up to 40 pounds across the store and stand on the sales floor for long periods of time
- Knowledge of books and the book industry, with previous bookselling experience preferred
- Ability to speak knowledgeably about Bookmarks and its mission
- Must genuinely enjoy talking about books and helping readers of all ages
Average salary will be $9-$11/hour commensurate upon experience. As a small, non-profit organization, Bookmarks is unable to provide benefits to part-time employees.
Bookmarks is first and foremost a literary nonprofit with the mission of fostering a love of reading and writing in the community. Bookmarks' programming connects people with books and authors and includes an annual Festival of Books & Authors, an Authors In Schools program, and over 20 events in our bookstore and gathering space each month. Employees serve as team lead during their shifts to perform opening and closing duties, supervise bookstore volunteers, address customers' concerns, and assist with in-store events, including author talks, booksignings, storytimes, and more.
Front-line booksellers are often the first point of contact for customers and are expected to create a friendly, professional, welcoming, and helpful environment in the bookstore. You should feel comfortable discussing and handselling a wide range of books even if you have a specialization in a specific age-group or genre.