Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup, & Yawn (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science 2) (Library Binding)
Email email@example.com for price & availability
Read and find out about reflexes—including sneezing, shivering, hiccupping, and yawning—in this colorfully illustrated nonfiction picture book.
Have you ever wondered what makes you sneeze when you're in a dusty room? Or shiver when you get out of the bathtub? Or yawn when you're tired? All of these actions are reflexes. Your body makes them happen even though you don't tell it to.
Budding young scientists will be amazed as Melvin Berger and Paul Meisel reveal the mysteries behind the reflexes that happen in our bodies every day and offer fun-filled experiments to try on family and friends.
This is a clear and appealing science book for early elementary age kids, both at home and in the classroom. It's a Level 2 Let's-Read-and-Find-Out, which means the book explores more challenging concepts for children in the primary grades. The 100+ titles in this leading nonfiction series are:
- hands-on and visual
- acclaimed and trusted
- great for classrooms
Top 10 reasons to love LRFOs:
- Entertain and educate at the same time
- Have appealing, child-centered topics
- Developmentally appropriate for emerging readers
- Focused; answering questions instead of using survey approach
- Employ engaging picture book quality illustrations
- Use simple charts and graphics to improve visual literacy skills
- Feature hands-on activities to engage young scientists
- Meet national science education standards
- Written/illustrated by award-winning authors/illustrators & vetted by an expert in the field
- Over 130 titles in print, meeting a wide range of kids' scientific interests
Books in this series support the Common Core Learning Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, and the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) standards. Let's-Read-and-Find-Out is the winner of the American Association for the Advancement of Science/Subaru Science Books & Films Prize for Outstanding Science Series.
About the Author
Melvin Berger is the author of many classic LRFOs, including Germs Make Me Sick!, Oil Spills! and Why I Cough, Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup, and Yawn, as well as other nonfiction on the Harper backlist. He lives in East Hampton, NY.
Paul Meisel has illustrated many books for children, including Why Are the Ice Caps Melting?, Energy Makes Things Happen, and What Happens to Our Trash? in the Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science series. He lives in Newtown, Connecticut.