Bookmarks is a literary arts nonprofit organization and independent bookstore that works to ignite the love of reading. We believe in books with purpose and are passionate about connecting our community with books and authors.
P O L I C Y O F I N C L U S I O N
Bookmarks is welcoming to all and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, age, body size, ability, appearance, religion, or citizenship. We value all in our community and aim to provide a safe, inclusive, and welcoming space for all to engage with books and authors.
T H E N O N P R O F I T
Bookmarks began as a literary arts nonprofit in 2004. Over the last 17 years, Bookmarks has worked to connect people with books and authors through an annual Festival of Books & Authors, year-round events, and outreach programs including Authors In Schools and Book Build.
Bookmarks has brought over 850 authors, illustrators, and storytellers to Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Authors come from around the region, country, and the world. Bookmarks has hosted winners of the Pulitzer Prize, National Book Award, National Book Critics Circle Award, American Book Award, National Medal of the Arts, Lincoln Medal, Presidential Medal of Freedom, Coretta Scott King Award, Newberry Award, and a United States Poet Laureate. Bookmarks authors have written more than 1,500 New York Times, national, and international bestsellers, and have spent more than 47 years on The New York Times bestseller list.
Under careful staff and board guidance, Bookmarks has grown from an annual book festival to a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organzation and a vibrant bookstore and gathering space. Now with sixteen staff members, Bookmarks reaches tens of thousands of local students annually and reaches over 25,000 people through the Festival of Books & Authors.
At Bookmarks, we believe in the power of books and written word. Our team is passionate about igniting the love of reading by connecting our community with books and authors.
T H E B O O K S T O R E
Bookmarks' bookstore was designed and constructed in order to meet the need for an independent bookstore in downtown Winston-Salem and a space to host community events. The bookstore opened its doors in July of 2017 with 4,200 square feet of space, including a stage, a conference room, offices, and mobile bookshelves that allow for an easy transformation into a community gathering space. Bookmarks hosts more than 15 community events each month.
All bookstore profits support Bookmarks' nonprofit outreach programs, and each time you round up at the register, you are helping us connect members of our community with books and authors.
Book selections include a wide range of topics and authors, including YA, sci-fi/fantasy, general fiction, nonfiction, poetry, memoir, mystery/thriller, cookbooks, travel books, and regional books. Bookmarks has something for everyone—stop by today to find your next adventure or shop online.
634 West Fourth St. #110
P A R K I N G
- There is a parking lot behind Bookmarks. Enter 632 Holly Avenue in your GPS and you will see our parking lot.
- Anyone parking in the lot off Holly will either pay for parking or have their parking validated by Bookmarks.
- If you park there for under 30 minutes, you don't need to pay OR validate. If you park for over 30 minutes and don't pay or have your parking validated, you will receive a ticket in the mail.
- Each business will have a QR code to validate parking or click here to validate now. You DO need your license plate number in order to validate it.
- If you have any questions, please email email@example.com. Thank you!
- There is also parking in the Nash Building parking lot at the corner of Poplar and W. 4th St. Enter 610 W. 4th Street in your GPS for directions.
- Handicapped parking is available next to Bookmarks in the Foundations Early Learning Center parking lot. Enter 300 Poplar Street NW in your GPS for directions.