Support Literacy Days at Bookmarks
Bookmarks is a literary arts non-profit that cultivates community by bringing people of all ages together with books and authors who educate, inspire, challenge, and entertain. We strive to increase access to books for all, especially the young people in the Winston-Salem Forsyth County community. We are dedicated to supporting programs and schools that promote literacy and equitable access to books at school and at home.
Support Literacy Days at Bookmarks will highlight identified schools and literacy initiatives in the community in need of support. We will donate ten percent of the day’s sales from our Bookstore located in downtown Winston-Salem. The donation will be in the form of Book Credit to be used to purchase books for the school or program. Support Literacy Days at Bookmarks will be held once a month and we are now accepting applications for 2023. We will select one school or program per month for the months of January to November. The application process closes on December 31, 2022. Schools and Programs will be notified if they have been selected by January 31, 2023.
Priority will be given to schools and programs that meet any of the following criteria;
- Schools or programs that serves the Winston Salem/Forsyth County area.
- Schools and programs that focus on closing the gap on academic achievement and outcomes.
- Schools and programs that serve underserved populations. (Underserved is defined as populations that have been systematically denied a full opportunity to participate in aspects of economic, social, and civic life)
- Schools and programs that have a need for new and diverse books.
- Schools with a Media Collection that does not meet the state standards of 10 books per student.
- Programs and initiatives that focus on helping students and families start or grow at-home book collections.
- Programs and initiatives that serve children and families living in an area identified as a book desert.
To be considered for the 2023 Support Literacy Day’s at Bookmarks Schedule, please complete the application by 5pm on December 31, 2022. Programs and Schools selected will be notified via email by January 31, 2023. Applications must be completed by the school's Media Coordinator, Librarian, or Administrator. Applications for any non- school programs should be submitted by a Program Manager, Coordinator, or Director.
If you are interested in learning more about Support Literacy Day at Bookmarks please contact Lupe Penn, Youth & Schools Manger at email@example.com.
If you are interested in supporting our efforts financially please contact Jamie Rogers Southern, Executive Director of Bookmarks at firstname.lastname@example.org.