The building was completed in 1928 by John Alonzo Bolich Jr. He was a local realtor who also owned 414 West Fourth Street building. Our area is part of a piece of property that is 18,000 square feet. The building is called the Nash Building because the name is carved into the westernmost facade, but the official name is the Bolich Building. The original anchor for the building was the Auto Repair & Sales Company, agents for Nash automobiles and Kelly-Springfield tires. (We think this is where our property is located)
It was at their request that the name "Nash" was carved into the building. Other early tenants in the larger building were the Play Mates Kindergarten, operated by Margaret C. Gray and Bessie Blum; W.E. Franklin real estate; Thomas C. Hailey and E.D. Taylor, notary public and principles of the Taylor-Hailey Company, real estate and mortgage loans; the Insurance Underwriter Agency, Rosa L. Reich; the Jones Audit Company, John E. Jones; the Winston-Salem Masonic Temple; the C.E. Johnson Realty Company; the Franklin Real Estate Company; Mrs. Lena B. Stagg Antiques; Nettie Stephens Corset Shop; a branch of Quality Cleaners, Inc. the Business Equipment Company; the S.B. Knight Decorating Company and Draughn's Business College.
At some point during the Great Depression, the building was sold to the Prudential Life Insurance Co., which sold it in 1944 to the Smithdeal family. After Mary Smithdeal's death in 2007, the building was put up for auction. The building was sold in December 2012 for $1 million to JPA Group (Andy Bowersox, Jorge Lagueruela and Paul Wong).
Memorial Day Parade, 1929. The Clyde Bolling Post band is marching on West Fourth Street. Photograph shows view down West Fourth Street facing west with the Nash-Bolich building on the left.
Courtesy of the Forsyth County Public Library Photograph Collection.